I spent 30 years in the newspaper business, from 1978 to 2008. It was never dull, it was rewarding, and it was an interesting time to be there.
I still care very much about how good journalism, so necessary to the functioning of a free society, can be sustained by new business models now that the legacy media, especially newspapers, have fallen on hard times.
In 2008 I started exploring that question in this blog, and then at Nieman Journalism Lab. Since 2013 I have largely maintained radio silence, but have good intentions of getting started again.
In 2016, I was honored to provide consulting services to a group of investors who purchased New England Newspapers, Inc., the newspaper group I used to work for, and I’ve accepted their invitation to serve on the New England Newspapers Board. During 2016 I served as acting group publisher for five months during the search for a permanent publisher.
- Office/cell: 802-380-0226
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
The whole nine yards
Consultant and Writer, Vernon, VT:
- Marketing, public relations and strategic planning consultation, 2008-present
- Marketing director, Strolling of the Heifers, Brattleboro, VT, 2008-2016
- Contributing writer, Nieman Journalism Lab, Harvard University, 2008-2014
New England Newspapers, Inc., Pittsfield, MA:
- Member of the Board of Directors, 2016 to present
- Acting Group Publisher, July-November 2016
- Publisher, Brattleboro Reformer, Brattleboro, VT, 2006-2008
- Publisher, The North Adams Transcript, North Adams, MA, 2000-2006
- Publisher, The Berkshire Eagle, Pittsfield, MA, 1995-2000
Eagle Publishing Company, Pittsfield, MA (predecessor firm to New England Newspapers, Inc.):
- V. P., Chief Operating Officer, 1989-1995
- V. P., Marketing Director, 1985-1989
- Promotion Director, 1983-1985
- Assistant Business Manager, 1980-1983
- Advertising Sales, Marketing Management, 1978-1980
The Flying Cloud Inn, New Marlboro, MA:
- Co-innkeeper, 1975-1978 (with Beverly G. Langeveld)
- Vermont Nuclear Decommissioning Citizens Advisory Panel: Citizen member appointed by Governor Peter Shumlin, 2014-present; vice chair 2015-present
- Planning Commission, Vernon, VT: 2014-present
- New England Center for Circus Arts, Brattleboro, VT: Board member, 2017 to present; board secretary, 2017-present.
- Windham-Windsor Housing Trust, Brattleboro, VT: Board member, 2013-present; Finance Committee, 2014-present
- Brattleboro Community Television, Brattleboro, VT: Board member, 2011-present; treasurer, 2014-present
- Resilient Design Institute, Brattleboro VT: Board member, 2015-present
- Friends of the West River Trail, Londonderry VT: Lower Section fund raising committee: 2012-present; (chair) 2017-present.
- The Monday Evening Club, Pittsfield, MA: member, 2000-present; webmaster, 2008-present
- First Church of Christ, Congregational, Pittsfield, MA: Moderator, 1995-1998; various boards and committees 1983-2006; Chair of Property Committee 2002-2006; Historian 2004-present
- VernonVermont.org, the unofficial website of my home town, Vernon VT: co-founder, designer, administrator, 2015-present
- Friends of Vernon Center, Vernon VT: a non-profit being formed to develop a village center for Vernon. Board member 2017-present; fundraising committee, 2017-present.
- Vermont Press Association, Colchester VT: Board member, 2017-present
- Southeastern Vermont Economic Development Strategies (SeVEDS): Board of Directors, 2012-2017
- SeVEDS (see above) Post-Vermont Yankee Task Force: 2011-2012
- Windham County Humane Society, Brattleboro VT: Auction planning committee, 2007-2015
- Building a Better Brattleboro (now Downtown Alliance), Brattleboro, VT: Board of Directors, 2006-2008
- National Newspaper Association, Columbia MO: Board of Directors, 2006-2008
- Hancock Shaker Village, Pittsfield, MA: Co-chair, Board of Trustees, 2003-2006; Chair, 1990-1993; Treasurer 1995-1998
- Massachusetts Newspaper Publishers Association, Dedham, MA: Board of Directors 2000-2006, Treasurer 2004-2006
- Chamber of Commerce of the Berkshires, Pittsfield MA: Board of Directors, Economic Development Committee, 1995-2002
- Berkshire Museum, Pittsfield, MA: Corporator, 1996-2003
- Berkshire County Savings Bank (now Berkshire Bank), Pittsfield, MA: Corporator, 1996-2000
- Berkshire United Way, Northern Berkshire United Way: Various volunteer roles, 1990-2006
- Colonial Theatre Association (now Berkshire Theatre Group), Pittsfield, MA: Member of founding Board of Trustees and Executive Committee, 1999-2004
- Berkshire Scenic Railway Museum, Lenox, MA: Gateway to the Gilded Age Committee, 1998-2003
- New Marlboro Volunteer Fire Department, New Marlboro, MA: member, 1978-1981
- Cornell University, Ithaca, NY: Master of Professional Studies in Hotel Administration, 1975
- Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Cambridge, MA: Bachelor of Science in Humanities and Engineering, 1970